“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” - John 13:34
While these children appreciate receiving the necessities of nutrition, medical services, improved education, and life skills, they also love and desire a relational connection with their sponsor. Writing a letter is a simple and tangible way to offer encouragement, build relationships, spread the kindness of Jesus, and share about you and your life with the child you sponsor. They enjoy writing letters back or sending drawings of their lives or themselves as their way of showing their gratitude for you as well.
What should I write?
These children are not expecting a formal letter – get creative!
You can give encouragement
- I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you today and that God loves you!
- I know today might be hard, but remember, with God’s strength you can do anything!
You can include things about yourself
- I am horseback riding this weekend!
- I just got a new puppy! He is a little German Shepherd and his name is Bo! Here is a picture of him!
You can ask questions
- What is your favorite animal?
- What is your favorite thing to do?
- If you could be anything in the world, what would you be?
- How was your day today?